The Business Manager leads financial and business operations and oversight for all aspects of the company. The Business Manager inspires the studio to achieve new levels of success by creating and promoting risk management strategies, financial controlling, precise accounting, and forecasting. This role is seen as a key leader within the company and has substantial opportunity for growth and development.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Management. Manage and support a team of 3 FTEs including a highly skilled bookkeeper, Studio Project Coordinator and Studio Manager. Collaborate with other key employees and Principals to develop and promote best practice procedures within the organization ranging from contract management, document storage, general accounting and project financial workflows. Manage third-party professional service company relationships and contracts that may include IT, HR, Insurance and CPA firms.
• Planning. Work closely with the Principal group and potential third-party contract CFO to develop dynamic budgeting and financial forecasting models that align to the company’s future vision and strategic objectives. Develop performance KPIs for the company to track against that support the strategic objectives. Partner with the Studio Project Coordinator and Project Managers to understand and translate labor resourcing levels into financial projections.
• Compliance. Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit. Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants. Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings by working with the third-party tax CPA firm. Work with the Studio Manager to review and ensure timely renewals of all corporate filings and licenses outside of tax compliance and ensure insurance policies are renewed and presented to the Principal group.
• Transactions. Manage and support the work of the full-time bookkeeper to ensure all day-to-day accounting is handled properly. Monitor Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable aging to align with cash flow projections and ensure no red flags. Review payroll entries processed by Bookkeeper. Review and ensure all account reconciliations are complete and up to date in a timely manner. Maintain the chart of accounts. Ensure an orderly accounting filing system. Maintain a system of controls and best practice procedures over accounting functions.
• Reporting. Issue timely and complete internal financial statements on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis as desired by the Principal group. Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics and report significant issues to management. Provide financial analysis as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations.
- 5-8 years minimum Business experience within accounting or finance related areas in the A&E industry or creative business
- Experience in developing financial strategies to align with company vision and profitability goals
- An entrepreneurial mindset with outstanding organizational and leadership skills
- Strong understanding of performance management principles
- Familiarity with diverse business functions such as HR, marketing, PR, finance etc.
- In-depth knowledge of corporate governance and general management best practices
- Analytical abilities and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and public speaking skills
- BA/MA in business administration or relevant field. MBA strongly preferred
- Software/Systems experience, specifically using Ajera, Deltek, 10,000 feet or other A&E industry specific or project management-based software
How to apply:
- Submit a cover letter, detailed resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include role/title in the email subject line
- No phone calls, please
Skylab is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.